For those of you who don’t like me talking about politics (Shawn), go ahead and skip this one.
Here in California, there are twelve ballot initiatives to vote on. (Surprisingly, not a record number.) I find Prop 8 the most confusing:
“Do you want to allow gays to marry?”
“Then vote no!”
And Gavin Newsom has got to be kicking himself over his choice of words. First of all, telling Americans something will happen “whether you like it or not” virtually guarantees they won’t like it. Worse, when you hear it out of context in a radio ad, he sounds deranged. Actually, he sounds like he’s engaged in gay sex at the time of the quote.
Okay, enough of that nonsense. You don’t care what I think about politics anyway. On to…
THE POLITICAL QUOTES QUIZ
Here’s some famous political quotes. See if you can guess who said them. (Answers to follow the closing of the polls.)
- Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others.
Queen Elizabeth II
- I’d rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University.
William F. Buckley, Jr.
- Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
- History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
- Humor is reason gone mad.
- The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.
Alexis de Tocqueville
- Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.
- We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
- A politician looks forward only to the next election. A statesman looks forward to the next generation.
- Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem.
John F. Kennedy
George Bush Sr.
- A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
John F. Kennedy
- A free society is a place where it’s safe to be unpopular.
- Insanity in individuals is something rare – but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
- The layman’s constitutional view is that what he likes is constitutional and that which he doesn’t like is unconstitutional.
Sandra Day O’Connor
- The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
Herny Ward Beecher
C. S. Lewis
Name the five members of the Simpsons’ family. Now name the five rights guaranteed by the first amendment. Now try to justify why your vote should count as much as mine.