Memo To Anyone Sending in Your Resume

If you’re sending in your resume, please keep the following in mind:

• Your resume does not need to be six pages long. Steven Spielberg’s is not that long. I used to work for an agency that represented Oscar and Emmy winners, and no one’s resume was more than a page. If you just graduated from film school, trust me, you can condense your resume.
  • Nobody cares that you worked at Victoria’s Secret in high school.
  • “Follows directions” is not a skill. It’s an assumed character trait of anyone applying for a job.

“Do you follow directions?”
“Nope.”
“Great, you have the job! Just sign right here.”
“NO!”

• If you’re applying to be a PA, don’t tell us you were a DP on some project we’ve never heard of. We know it’s a student film, and no, it doesn’t count.
  • No, your spec screenplays don’t count, either.
  • We know what a PA does. You don’t have to describe script distro as “supervising the flow of confidential paperwork / client information.” Here’s all the information we need: Position, Show Title, Production Company. Anything else is just padding.
  • While we’re on the subject of brevity, your cover letter should not be so long that it starts, “Call me Ishmael.” Half a page is all you need.

“Hi, my name is _________. I heard you were hiring PAs. I have _____ years of experience in TV/film/whatever. I’m sure I could be an asset to your show. I look forward to hearing from you. Best, _______.”

• Please do write a cover letter. If you send in a resume by itself, you look like a presumptive jerk. “My resume is so awesome, I don’t even have to tell you I’d like a job. You want to hire me.”
  • There is no “hiring manager” or “human resources department” on a show. Find out the coordinator’s name, and address your letter properly.

Quit killing trees!

This entry was posted in Finding a Job, On the Job and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Memo To Anyone Sending in Your Resume

1. Vince says:

I think your resume advice would be good for most industries.

2. Nathan says:

And remove college education as soon as you’ve had 3 paying gigs.

• Louis says:

I would like to inquire more on this subject matter. Particularly pertaining to how education is perceived on Resumes? Many people I’ve talked to have different opinions on this, and It’s part of my Resume I have been grappling with for a while now.

Even an education is not perceived as helpful, why would it be harmful?

Thank You for your time.
      Louis

3. anonymousassistant says:

You know, I haven’t had a job outside the film industry since high school. I’m very insulated.

4. Pingback: Where to Begin… « The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

5. Drew says:

I’m just starting to put together a resume for future jobs – I have two independent films under my belt – and for the examples I find, they have a portfolio section. What goes into a PA’s portfolio? Production photos of them?

6. Pingback: Touching Base « The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

7. Pingback: Who Hires Someone With No Experience? « The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

8. Pingback: Happy Anniversary! « The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

9. Pingback: Cover Letter « The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

10. nadiafriza says:

thanx for sharing the insight tips :)

11. Pingback: The Factory Floor | The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

12. Pingback: The Factory Floor | The Content Beast

13. Pingback: Demo Reel | The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

14. Pingback: Objectives | The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog

15. Pingback: Objectives | The Content Beast

16. Pingback: what does a resume cover letter look like - USEFUL DOCUMENT – USEFUL DOCUMENT

17. Pingback: The No-Experience Resume | The Anonymous Production Assistant's Blog

18. Pingback: Applying to be a Writer’s PA | The Anonymous Production Assistant's Blog

19. A Fellow PA says:

Thank you so much for this blog and this post.

I’m a staff PA at a production company out in NYC and I get to put on the “hire an intern” hat. I once had a ten page resume. The applicant had no real experience, but they were in the jazz choir, home ec club, drama club, chess club, and enjoyed yoga. Needless to say, they weren’t hired.

20. Pingback: Foreign Experience | The Anonymous Production Assistant's Blog

21. Pingback: what does a cover letter look like for a resume | | USEFUL DOCUMENTUSEFUL DOCUMENT

22. Pingback: what does a cover letter look like for a resume | | UTILITY DOCUMENTSUTILITY DOCUMENTS

23. KM says:

To staple, or not to staple, that is the question.

24. Brittany Sterrett says:

How do you find the coordinator’s name? I have been looking everywhere at multiple companies and I can’t find the names of ANYONE that I would send my cover letter to. HELP!

• Sarah says:

Try searching the company you want to apply to on LinkedIn.
      Most companies will list their employees on their website, though.

25. Chris Kimling says:

When a big production comes to my area (Atlanta) I know they probably get lots of cover letters and resumes. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to send multiple emails to make sure my email gets seen?

26. post supervisor says:

Hi,
    In the last couple years I left PAing to post supervise a large remastering project. I did it because it was an opportunity to learn a lot and have a ton of responsibility really quickly. However, my bosses know very little about the production world: I worry that this reflects badly on me. For example, my formal job title is “producer”. Do I put that on my resume, or “post supervisor”? Is it bad form to use a title that I feel overstates my responsibilities? I think in the normal production world they would be considered the producers, not me.

27. Nash says:

When sending out resume and cover letter via email, what’s the protocol on what you put in the email? I feel like everything you write in the email is already explained in the cover letter?

28. AG says:

What would be the best way to reach out to a coordinator? Send them an email or call and ask if they are looking for PA’s?

• The Anonymous Production Assistant says:

Both are worth a shot, but neither are likely to work. The best way to contact a coordinator is through someone you both know, or by meeting them in the real world.

29. Curious Film Kid says:

Hello Anonymous Production Assistant,

pretty cool blog. Glad I discovered it. Question, I’m currently a sophomore in college pursuing a film degree, and also looking for PA work in the Atlanta area. Thanks to the new tax, a ton of major productions are shot here in Georgia, which you probably already know. Noting that, I currently have one PA job with an indie film on my resume, and I’m still in school. What would some chuck, like me, do to their resume?

*lost kid*