A.K.A. “Crafty,” A.K.A. “Snacks.”
In the broadest sense, the craft service department is there to help (or “service”) the other “crafts.” Whether that means keeping the stage clean, or helping lift something heavy, they’re always around to help out.
This somehow came to include providing snacks for the crew. Drinks, chips, candy, even hot food between meals. Early on in your career, you may have trouble distinguishing them from the caterer. But they really are part of the crew.
Crafty can also refer to the food itself. In the production office (and often writer’s and post production offices, as well), the PA is responsible for buying snacks. We call this “crafty,” even though no craft service personnel are involved.
WP Glossary Term Usage
- Crafty Service – Comic
- The Never-Ending Crafty Run
- Revisions, Or: When Five Figures Isn’t Enough To Do It Right the First Time
- Everyone’s Favorite Department
- Feed Me!
- It’s Like Herding Cats. Confused, Obtuse, Narcissistic Cats.
- The Movie Next Door
- It’s Always About the Food
- The Labyrinth of Unemployment (Insurance)
- Beach Party Summer
- The Stage is Dark, and Full of Terrors
- Saving Money
- Making Friends