- Working Title http://t.co/b9fWPGFfQX 07:19:06, 2013-06-03
- Awwww, I remember when this was me: http://t.co/yqwBj17Dey 09:48:55, 2013-06-04
- RT "If you tweet #FML, your Fun My Life wish may just be satisfied. By us. http://t.co/HQnwFFjLjF" Quick, NO ONE tell @JELLO what FML means. in reply to JELLO 09:50:16, 2013-06-04
- @AdamUltraberg – @YahtzeeCroshaw called it XBone, to my endless delight. in reply to AdamUltraberg 09:51:25, 2013-06-04
- @RickPantera Are you saying they were overpaid in the 1970s? in reply to RickPantera 09:51:57, 2013-06-04
- @SPNandPRfan I'm going to start calling him that. in reply to SPNandPRfan 09:53:22, 2013-06-04
- Funny correction from @joeykennedy7 http://t.co/sem6AMiJtt He's right, of course, but I prefer to leave my mistakes for posterity. 10:10:31, 2013-06-04
- RT @TWDCjobs: HOT JOB: Administrative Assistant to the SVP/GM, Marvel Digital Media Group ~ #Marvel (New York, NY) http://t.co/wNMQzM7EPz #… 10:10:38, 2013-06-04
- How to Interview http://t.co/TuofjWr0S6 11:00:43, 2013-06-04
- RT @PucksAndGrub: STRESSED THE FUCK OUT!! GO KINGS GO!! #LAKings #Believe #Believe #Believe #Believe #Believe #BecauseitstheCup #LAKingsFam… 20:30:06, 2013-06-04
- RT @chrisvalera: Finished my third day on the job. Everything went great, and I'm learning a lot, except… http://t.co/KFor4g5tCW 20:31:12, 2013-06-04
- RT @TWDCjobs: RT @TWDS_Careers HOT JOB: Secretary IV ~ The Walt Disney Studios (Burbank, CA) http://t.co/yZFq2Y3GjJ #disneyjobs 20:31:42, 2013-06-04
- RT @ali_nicolas: I learned via Facebook I was laid off today and @OMGPOP office is closed. Thanks @zynga for again reminding me how not to … 20:31:59, 2013-06-04
- RT @KaylynNeely: Spray on tan is a girl's best friend. But the one who gossips about you behind your back. 20:32:30, 2013-06-04
- RT @_meerkatt: First the first time in a long time, I bought a dress and showed it to my mom. First thing she asks is if I'm going to wear … 20:32:42, 2013-06-04
- RT @littletoyboat: Just saw @ZackSnyder on the WB lot, and shook his hand. Or squealed like a girl. He's probably used to it, either way. #… 20:33:35, 2013-06-04
- WordPress tells me I've been publishing the UTA Joblist for two years. Here's another one. http://t.co/OSsWe9r2OW 20:41:51, 2013-06-04
- RT @littletoyboat: Okay, I finally caught up on Game of Thrones. You guys can start talking about the #RedWedding now. 11:41:08, 2013-06-08
- RT @RobertoBlaque: Seriously though, if Batman can't handle unlimited spying on everyone, neither can you. #prism 11:41:32, 2013-06-08
- RT @brooklynbadger: My eulogy is just gonna be a run-down of my best tweets delivered by @JBux521 if i die first 11:41:42, 2013-06-08
- RT @edmoore: Great to see Jaden Smith’s name everywhere again; I’m a big fan of his contribution to cinema. 11:42:42, 2013-06-08
- RT @paulmacgregor: 'You're gay, not a woman.' My sister's reasoning for the non-invite to a family hen night #everydaysexism 11:42:57, 2013-06-08
- Hard to believe it's time for another one: http://t.co/OSsWe9r2OW 11:45:38, 2013-06-08
- This could be fun: When I Was A PA: Stories From Former Production Assistants http://t.co/fGaPhnSznl via @kickstarter @BongiornoCamera 11:55:37, 2013-06-09
Category Archives: About Me
- TAPA Tweets for the week ending 2013-05-25 http://t.co/og5lsLjTVo 13:35:20, 2013-05-26
- So, I Have This Weird Idea… http://t.co/UUMQygwVdq 09:01:21, 2013-05-27
- RT @commonladybug: This Tuesday has Monday written all over it. 07:20:43, 2013-05-28
- RT @BrieCook: The bad part about rolling straight into a shoot day after a long weekend is that I fear today's episode will kick my ass. 07:21:24, 2013-05-28
- RT @matthiasbsnyder: I'm sure this won't cause any problems. #survivalofthefittest http://t.co/kvidCbpxi4 07:23:56, 2013-05-28
- @zaelyna Like, from 1963? You've got a lot of catching up to do. in reply to zaelyna 07:24:58, 2013-05-28
- RT "@JamesCullenB Fun American pastime: driving starlets into madness then enjoying a hearty laugh after." As a PA, I literally drive them. in reply to JamesCullenB 07:27:34, 2013-05-28
- RT @UNTRESOR: Skrillex! It's your cousin Marvin. Marvin Skrillex! Know that sound you've been looking for? I think I found it! *holds phone… 07:28:17, 2013-05-28
- Never Good Enough http://t.co/dxdDGHzZqY A tale of Starbucks and failure. 09:46:29, 2013-05-28
- @zaelyna The word you're looking for is "awesome." Stupid #autocorrect in reply to zaelyna 11:09:42, 2013-05-28
- Here's a joblist, just in case you're interested in that sort of thing– http://t.co/OSsWe9r2OW 20:33:40, 2013-05-28
- @sara_clarke Metric system is based on the Earth's diameter. Standard units, on the human body. Which are the crew more likely to have? in reply to sara_clarke 20:34:57, 2013-05-28
- RT "@legendaryadam Worst part about the new Arrested Development is Portia DeRossi's now mutilated plastic surgery face. #MegRyanFace" :^[ in reply to legendaryadam 20:36:28, 2013-05-28
- LOL http://t.co/Nw2UDCrzDA 21:48:36, 2013-05-28
- RT @ConStar24: will #3 be Gamma something? #theme | @amazon Studio's 1st original comedy series will be 'Alpha House' &'Betas' http://t.co/… 07:34:09, 2013-05-29
- Should I Send My Resume Twice? http://t.co/t7aPdgqglS 07:41:45, 2013-05-29
- @gmvarg Same way you would with any other credit: http://t.co/5uGxdLL5A1 & http://t.co/G9zBL7r8Y5 in reply to gmvarg 08:13:01, 2013-05-29
- RT @Mynewyorkad: @TheAnonymousPA your blog is incredibly helpful. I stayed up until 2am reading it. I haven't seen 2am since college. Magic. 18:42:24, 2013-05-29
- Defending Yourself http://t.co/uYVDz0olHC 07:24:26, 2013-05-30
- How to Get on The List http://t.co/W0ySOPW4WP 06:48:43, 2013-05-31
- RT @TV_Types: @SaraCogan1 Thanks! Our favourite (other) TV blogs are http://t.co/bvTZ7BLvPw and @TheAnonymousPA's http://t.co/A3YPXhxGeW 09:28:27, 2013-05-31
- RT @brooklynbadger: #FF @TheAnonymousPA You guys are a godsend to the community, thank you greatly for your service 09:28:31, 2013-05-31
- New internship opportunity on TAPA: http://t.co/mDQsdZlJEl 15:12:03, 2013-05-31
- It's that time again: http://t.co/OSsWe9r2OW 08:14:52, 2013-06-01
I was thinking it might be fun to create a TAPA webcomic. Sometimes, words just aren’t enough to convey the craziness and stupidity on set. A weekly or bi-weekly comic would be another way to show future PAs what they’re in for.
So, I’m reaching out to the TAPA readership. I’m hoping one of you would like to collaborate on a funny/informative/irreverent comic about the daily life of a PA. I’ll write it, you’ll draw, and we’ll publish it right here on the TAPA website.
If you’re interested, send me an email; tell me a little bit about yourself, your PA experiences, your ideas for a drawing style. If it works out, we might have a new segment for TAPA!
- Don't forget to listen to 89.9 @kcrw today at 2:30 to hear me ramble. 07:22:51, 2013-05-20
- Job Offer I Don't Want http://t.co/ZPETBogLoK 13:03:57, 2013-05-20
- RT @vashte: Oh…so *that's* what a PA does! http://t.co/XwSXtI1j4o @TheAnonymousPA 11:46:54, 2013-05-21
- RT @TheFinalFangirl: 26% of new pilots center around a female lead. 6% have people of color as the lead. This is not the world I live in. … 12:20:16, 2013-05-21
- RT @KazHiraiCEO: The PS4 is clearly the better than the XBOX ONE as 4 is greater than 1. This graph will make it clearer: http://t.co/HTBn7… 12:21:49, 2013-05-21
- RT @marysasson: It makes sense for kids to be picky eaters, I mean their metabolisms will never be faster, why waste that gift on broccoli? 12:22:30, 2013-05-21
- RT "@kayticastellano I changed my outfit 263850362629404 times today. Apparently I still don't know how to dress for this city." No one does in reply to kayticastellano 12:23:11, 2013-05-21
- RT @nintendoboy: Microsoft's next console will be called the Xbox One. Sadly, it's just a prequel to the Xbox 360 and can only play cartrid… 12:24:29, 2013-05-21
- Holy crap, it's election day in Los Angeles! Be sure to vote, if you're an Angelino. 13:11:51, 2013-05-21
- RT @TVgoddess1: @DarbyKCRW @TheAnonymousPA Great interview!! PAs are often overlooked (unless they're bad). Would love 2 hear more of the f… 18:23:25, 2013-05-21
- New internship posting, if that's your thing– http://t.co/mDQsdZlJEl 18:26:28, 2013-05-21
- @BaaaaBlueSheep Play Station users should be used to it, by now. in reply to BaaaaBlueSheep 18:28:05, 2013-05-21
- One thing I didn't mention in my @kcrw interview ( http://t.co/dKvdRUMqXu ) is that I post the UTA Joblist regularly: http://t.co/OSsWe9r2OW 19:42:11, 2013-05-21
- You Can't Beat Stupid http://t.co/QKJgjWFxDU A tale from the trenches. 07:13:22, 2013-05-24
- @oceana_roll Booooooo in reply to oceana_roll 07:54:09, 2013-05-24
- RT @littletoyboat: I found an old notebook I barely remember using. On one of the pages I wrote, "Titanic 2: Water Zombies." That's it. Tha… 07:54:52, 2013-05-24
- RT @VDOOZER: "I making today about me". Thing commonly said by people who make every day and everything about 'them'. (Mom, you on Twitter… 07:55:16, 2013-05-24
- @ScarLaRouge Watch Firefly first. in reply to ScarLaRouge 07:56:10, 2013-05-24
- RT "@mk_pedro When I'm rich I'm going to turn into a republican because I hate taxes out of my paycheck! (That's how it works, right?)" Yes in reply to mk_pedro 07:56:52, 2013-05-24
- RT "@brentowenmartin I don't get why people post photos upside down. Is that "artistic" now?" I assumed they were falling over. in reply to brentowenmartin 07:57:36, 2013-05-24
- RT @ashhamilton6: Saw this in the fridge, thought adult meant extra protein or something. Its booze, I had a giant gulp for breakfast http:… 07:58:16, 2013-05-24
- @ashhamilton6 "Adult" is usually a euphemism for pornography. I'd hate to think what'd be in THAT kind of "Adult Chocolate Milk." in reply to ashhamilton6 07:58:48, 2013-05-24
- RT @TWDCjobs: #FF @TWDS_Careers @DisneyABC @DI_Jobs and @WaltDisneyAnim for magical entertainment career opportunities with Disney! 07:59:05, 2013-05-24
- RT "@annAMeL_: @TheAnonymousPA I like your blog " Thanks! 08:03:00, 2013-05-24
- @ashhamilton6 That's always the lesson. Also, the fact that your twitpic clearly shows the word "liqueur" only adds to the comedy. in reply to ashhamilton6 08:05:22, 2013-05-24
- @ScarLaRouge You will have watched Firefly, and that is enough. in reply to ScarLaRouge 08:05:57, 2013-05-24
- RT @noahoculver: Sometimes you "accidentally" draw a pirate flag on your directors walkie. Sometimes he's awesome… http://t.co/PRL0trlVIp 17:38:39, 2013-05-25
- RT @erinpshannon: Do I have to become a mom before I know how to read someone's temperature with the back of my hand? #MomSkills 17:39:08, 2013-05-25
- @erinpshannon Well, yes, obviously. in reply to erinpshannon 17:39:19, 2013-05-25
- RT @TWDCjobs: RECRUITMENT TIP: Always have copies of your resume on hand. It shows you’re prepared #disneyjobs 17:40:45, 2013-05-25
- RT @vashte: +50 MPH http://t.co/MrmAWqjQaV 17:41:19, 2013-05-25
- RT @jonarogers "I feel like @rcbl and @TheAnonymousPA should get together and do a podcast." I agree! Hear that @KCRW & @DarbyKCRW? in reply to jonarogers 18:23:46, 2013-05-25
- RT @poniewozik: What if Netflix pulled ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT at 11 am ET and everyone who stayed up to binge became griots passing it down a… 19:09:27, 2013-05-25
- Let's play a new game! Is This Comment Spam or Freeform Poetry? "How to become learn is production" http://t.co/mCbrKPSrOr 21:55:08, 2013-05-25
I recently visited the studios of KCRW to be interviewed for The Business. I didn’t mention it, because I had no idea when it would air. (The interview is what they call “evergreen,” meaning I didn’t talk about anything time-sensitive, so they’d be able to play it whenever they had some time to fill on a future episode.)
It’s only about five minutes, at the end of the episode. The interview actually went on for about two hours (I talk a lot). I feel bad for the person who had to cut my ramblings down to a coherent story.
I received a lengthy email correcting several points on Thursday’s post. In order to protect the reader’s anonymity (something I’m familiar with), I’ll try to hide any personal details.
First, it turns out Severn Sandt is a woman. I used the masculine pronoun because I was unfamiliar with the name Severn, and a quick google search implied it’s usually a guy’s name. Sorry, Ms. Sandt.
Second, timecards on non-union sports shows work very differently than a union scripted series. They report 30 minute blocks, rather than 6, which seems harsh, but at least explains the 9:00/9:10/9:30 issue Sandt mentioned. Rounding down ten minutes rather than rounding up twenty doesn’t sound quite so bad.
I also received an update– Sandt was fired. And you might be surprised to learn that I think that’s terrible.
As I said, I think it’s in poor taste for the higher ups to ask you to not report overtime (or “contribute an hour or two of your OT to the cause” as Sandt put it), but it’s not really the worst thing I’ve heard on a set. Producers, UPMs, etc, are constantly trying to find new, creative ways to cut the budget. Sandt went a little overboard, but not to a fire-worthy degree.
And I sincerely doubt she would have been fired, if this letter hadn’t made the rounds on the internet. If you’re going to fire someone, it shouldn’t matter whether their behavior publicly known or not. And if you wouldn’t fire them until the behavior was publicly known, don’t fire them after.
I’m sure the network was happy Sandt was trying innovative ways of cutting payroll, until this memo embarrassed them. That’s pretty high up there on the list of shitty reasons to fire someone.
I sincerely hope my post did not contribute to Sandt being let go. I don’t know her at all, but if this memo is the worst thing she’s done, she’d still be in the top 10% of people I’ve worked for.
You don’t ever want a show filming in your neighborhood, or worse, your own apartment building. You will find out EXACTLY what kind of area you live in.
You see, TV shows don’t have time for nuance and subtlety. They need the audience to understand immediately what kind of location they’re at. If a character is rich, they live in a MANSION. But even that’s not enough. You have to see why he’s rich. If the guy’s an NFL player, his mansion is covered with football memorabilia. It’s not like he can have other interests; no old movie posters on the wall, or, god forbid, a bookshelf.
But I don’t live in a mansion, I live in a shitty apartment in North Hollywood. And a few months ago, a TV series shot in the apartment next to mine. They brought in big lights and a camera crew and some recognizable actors, and it was cool and all.
Until I watched the show. Turns out the guy next door is a serial rapist.
Think about it. This series has access to ALL of Los Angeles. They could film in a run down house, an alleyway, an abandoned factory, basically anywhere, and this TV crew decided my neighbor’s house just screamed “serial rapist.” As soon as the TV viewers see the cops enter this apartment, they’ll be like, “Oh, yeah, that guy’s totally a rapist. Look at his apartment.”
Here’s the worst part– This guy lived here before I did. I checked out the apartment and neighborhood and everything before moving in, and yet somehow missed the obvious rapepartment next door.
One other thing I noticed, watching the show. This is one of those gritty, real police procedural shows, with the shakey camera and a lot of improvved dialogue. As the cops are bantering on their way to arrest the serial rapist, one of them comments on how dirty the pool is. These two actors, they’re in character, they’re thinking like cops on their way to arrest someone for committing the most horrible crime one human being can do to another, not once, but multiple times, and along the way, this cop notices the pool is dirty.
That is one dirty fucking pool.
Look, I understand that they’re just actors pretending to be cops, but think about the number of people that had to approve that line before it wound up on my TV. The editor, director, producers, network executives, all of these people had to go, “Listen, I know we’re doing a serious episode about an important subject that affects millions of women around the world, but that pool… that pool cannot go unmentioned. I mean, look at it! If the cops walk past it and don’t mention it at all, the audience is going to be like, ‘Wow, did they not see how dirty that pool was? I know they’re hunting a serial rapist, but they should’ve at least noticed. These are the worst cops in the world!’”
I immediately called up my landlord: “You gotta get this pool cleaned, dude. Yes, I know, I’m watching it right now, too, that’s why I’m telling you, it’s a dirty fucking pool. I already live next to Mr. Rapenstein, can we at least have a clean pool?”
In conclusion, does anybody need a new roommate? I’m moving soon.
Susan (or possibly Jo) commented on an old post:
for one who knows as much as you do why are you anonymous? why can’t you tell us who you are and some of your credits. Might give us more trust in you, your advice, your credibility to know maybe of your imdb page or … something….? OTHER than being anonymous P.A.
Judging by the fact that she commented on the last post I wrote about PA Bootcamp [sic], I’m gonna assume SuJo works for them. (I thought they’d given up on pestering me, but I guess not.)
Setting that aside, I’ll try to answer Josan’s questions in good faith. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about my job. Just about every show I’ve ever worked for (including the one I’m currently on) made me sign a non-disclosure agreement. This blog is grounds for termination.
So, no name, no IMDb, no list of credits.
There’s also a faulty assumption underlying your question. Knowing my credits might get you to trust me and my advice? What makes you think I care whether you trust me or not?
This is a mistake people often makes about works of art.2 The reason you enjoy something may not be the reason the artist created it. I blog mostly because it gives me a place to vent. When people started asking me questions, I answered to the best of my abilities out of the kindness of my heart.
But if you don’t want to take my advice, I couldn’t care less.
This is something everyone needs to learn when dealing with people, whether at work or in the world at large. If you want someone to do something, you must first find out what they want.
Telling me you won’t believe me if I don’t give up personal information isn’t going to motivate me in the slightest. As I said above, don’t confuse your appreciation of my blog for my motivation to write it.
It’s been awhile since I’ve updated you on the state of the blog, so here goes.
In the last week, since I’ve started blogging again, I’ve received over 2,000 readers every day. Tuesday and Wednesday, over 2,400, which is nearly a record. So, if you’re sharing the blog with your friends, it seems to be working. Thanks!
As of this writing, I have 968 Twitter followers. I’m not sure what happens when I cross over to 1,000, but I’m sure it’s magical. If you don’t follow me, please do. I’ll follow you right back. Also, that’s where I let everyone know if I’ve uploaded a new joblist. If you want to hear about it right away, following is a good idea.
But as much as having more readers/followers/likers will boost my ego, there’s another reason you should share TAPA with more people. Specifically, your boss.
I created a page to list job notices a while back. It’s been a rather sad affair, with updates only every few weeks. I think the problem is that most of my readers are, like me, PAs.
If those of you who are working shared this blog with your bosses (and other department heads you’re friendly with), you could be a great help to those who are currently jobless.
There are new jobs opening up around Hollywood every single day. If I only knew what those jobs were, I could tell you, dear reader, all about them.
One more thing, while I’m being self-serving: see those text ads on the left-hand column? That’s what keeps TAPA online. Wouldn’t hurt if you clicked them once in a while.
Several people have commented or tweeted that I haven’t written anything in a while. The reason is, basically, this blog was started nearly five years ago, with over 650 posts. That’s quite a bit of material about a job a monkey could do. Eventually, you just run out of things to write.
Take a look at these two emails I recently received:
See that? It took less than 20 minutes for someone to send two emails: one asking for resumes and one saying they’re no longer accepting them.
That’s amazing. It also happens every day.
Time is not on your side. Even if you’re not sending your resume in right away, hundreds of other people are.
As I’ve said before, if yours is the 100th resume they receive, it might as well be the 1,000,000th. They’re not going to see it, they’re not going to read it, and no matter how good or qualified you are, they’re not going to give you the job.
I figure, if they’re not going to give me a job, let it be because I’m horribly unqualified for the position, not because I didn’t happen to be sitting at my desk when I heard about the opening.
- By the time you read this, I will have already written it.↩