Ahoy TAPA readers!
My name is Kate Lupo and I want to talk to you today about a very important word here in Hollywood.
That’s right: pure, sparkling, brilliant HUSTLE.
I got off the phone today with the head of HR at one of the top management companies in the industry and we discussed how most job candidates these days lack this important character trait.
But it’s the #1 thing recruiters (like me) are looking for.
I’m an entry-level Hollywood career coach and I specialize in training the next generation of intelligent, compassionate, and diverse Hollywood leaders. I’m proud to have trained thousands of candidates across the country, and even prouder of my clients who have gotten hired at top companies.
The difference between the candidates who succeed and those who don’t?
You guessed it: Hustle. When I hear your voice on the phone I can tell almost immediately if you have it.
I immediately pay attention to you if you tell me:
- You live and breathe entertainment and follow the trades (Deadline, Hollywood Reporter, Variety) religiously every day
- You’ve wanted to work in entertainment for years
- You’ve already made strides in your networking and have calls and meetings set up with alumni from your school, friends, and family who can help you get in the door
- You know exactly who you want to be and have a clear idea of how you want to make a positive contribution to the industry
- You have read The Mailroom by David Rensin (the entry-level Bible of Hollywood)
- You say the words “I’m ready for the challenge” or “I know how to work in a fast-paced environment”
I could go on for 5 more pages!
You’re on this TAPA newsletter (big shout out to TAPA for providing this amazing resource!) because you want to learn more. You may want to improve yourself in your current position, but most likely, you are actively looking for a new job. And many of you might be frustrated in your job hunt. You’re asking yourselves: WHY? Why am I not getting called in for interviews?
You may be lacking… you guessed it… Hustle.
So today I want to challenge you all to look inward and examine your own inner sense of hustle. Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you reading the trades daily?
- Are you organizing 2-3 networking meetings or phone calls each week?
- Are you religiously looking on LinkedIn for new connections?
- Do you have a clear idea of what your ultimate career goal is?
- Do you read books about your role models in the industry?
If you answered YES to all these questions, then you are a hustler, baby! Woot!
If you found yourself saying more no’s than yes’s, then it’s time to revamp your job hunt. The good news is that you don’t have to be in this alone. You have The Hustle in you, you just need a push in the right direction.
I’m currently accepting applications for my signature Entry-Level Hollywood Training Program, which is a 1-month intensive program designed to equip the nation’s top college students and recent grads with the skills and job hunt techniques needed to land highly competitive jobs in the business side of the industry.
In this program, you will work with me 1-on-1 to get crystal clear on your goals, and create a realistic job hunt plan and timeline for your success.
We will create your own personalized job hunt database, revamp your resume, and I will help you ACE all of your upcoming interviews. (Interview prep is my favorite thing to teach and also the most life-changing!)
I will also teach you essential Hollywood Assistant skills, including phone skills.
I am the only person in the country who formally teaches Hollywood Assistant phone skills, which are essential to your entry-level success.
So my questions for you:
- Are you ready to take your job hunt to the next level?
- Are you serious about landing an entry-level job in Hollywood?
- Are your parents supportive of your job hunt efforts – emotionally & financially?
- Are you ready for the challenge?
- Are you ready to have a competitive advantage over other entry-level Hollywood candidates?
If you answered YES to all these questions, then you’re the exact person I want to work with, and I can’t wait to meet you. Take a look at my Entry-Level Hollywood Training Program page here and I welcome you to apply today.
Registration closes next Tuesday, January 31st and I only have 3 spots left – and I hope one of them will be you!
I want you to be my next success story!